MBL 2017 Yearly Report
MBL 2017 Yearly Report
The Mothers’ Bridge of Love
(MBL Charity Registration No. 1105543)
MBL 3 Bridges: Between Birth and Adoptive Culture, Between China and the West, Between the Poor and the Rich
Sharing Chinese culture, helping Chinese children.
Head Office: 9 Orme Court, London, W2 4RL, UK
Chinaese Weibo: http://www.weibo.com/mbllondon/home?wvr=5
(Fan WU, Leo, Frank, Chloe)
UK CACH / V&A MOC Events
(Ping LIN, Patrick, Yanhua, Yuyang ZHANG)
China Volunteer Centre
(Julie ZHU, PZG)
Jan to March
Added Global Calendar content for Brazil & other South American countries; Finland, Sweden, Denmark & Netherlands; Spain, Portugal.
Edited and added to blog: Love on the road – volunteering in Sichuan; CACH reunion with MBL.
Set up MBLwechat public account in China (managed by Leo).
MBL with V&A New Year events run by team leader Yingtong.
MBL New Year events with V&A Children Museum in the UK.
Set up MBL wechat account.
Started MBL cultural project – National Trust cultural trip work plan & precedure.
April to June
Global Calendar content: Germany and Chinese students in Germany; France and Chinese students there.
Edited, translated, featured MBL powerpoint summary and Happy Mother’s Day messages.
Wrote and featured the article about June Children’s art exhibition with the artwork Frank and Julie had collected from China.
Xu and Patrick began to update Facebook regularly.
Renkai and Yiqun began to update Twitter.
Xinran provided MBL volunteer yearly training for Bath University
Set up translation team to support translation needs for our website and other social media platforms
Planned the UK-based summer camp for students visiting from China
Exhibited 50 children’s artwork from China for MBL UK events and website.
Conducted 2017 Books For Kids research.
Conducted MBL National Trust cultural trip research.
July to Sep
Global Calendar Content: India, Singapore, and other Asian countries.
Edited and featured Wenlin Chinese school charity garden party, and poster about the summer festival (MBL & V&A).
Edited, translated and featured MBL’s “Happy 14th Birthday” message.
Update MBL Wechat Account contents regularly.
Joined the MOC Summer Event (TianBin, Suifeng, Chole.) and raised fund for MBL.
Brought Chinese students from China for their summer camp in the UK.
MBL volunteer center in Nanjing collected books for this year’s Books For Kids project.
Supported the students from China for their studies in the UK.
MBL 14th Birthday celebration.
Oct to Dec
Global Calendar: all the countries in the original plan have been featured by now.
Global overview of news and stories.
Featured the recommendation list of children’s books.
Edited and featured the message for International Day of the Girl: Let’s Give Girls a bright future.
Release MBL National Trust cultural trip plan on Wechat.
2018 events work plan.
New Year Greeting.
Thank-you letter to MBLers.
Perparing the Chinese New Year Event with Yanhua, Chole, Zhihao, Zhuli, and Tanbin.
2018 events work plan.
Christmas and New Year’s letters for website and social media by different teams.
MBL Yearly Gathering.
Collected more books for Books for Kids projects
Set up donation day as 17th and 18th, December, 2017.
2017 yearly report.
2018 work plan.
MBL volunteer center Yearly Gathering
The summary of MBL 2017 Team Leaders’ Report
- Completed Global Calendar for 2017 covering all the countries and regions in the plan
- Set up Facebook and Twitter teams to expand social media content
- Provided editing and translating services to other MBL teams on key initiatives
- Provided training to team members for researching and compiling website content
- Added content regularly to the website and other platforms
- Started the initial discussion about website redesign, and will work on it with Frank and Leo in 2018
- Set up and update MBL Wechat Account contents regularly
- Shared MBL National Trust cultural trip plan on Wechat
UK Event Team
- The Event Team celebrated the Chinese New Year with MOC at the beginning of this year. The Event was successful.
- In July, we attended the MOC midsummer festival activities. This is MOC’s annual summer outdoor festival celebration. MOC also invited other charities, mainly those in music and children’s education. At the festival, MBL’s volunteers organized several performances and raised money for MBL. The event for the MOC Mid Autumn festival, unfortunately, had to be cancelled due to insufficient fund.
- The celebration of the Spring Festival is set on February 10th. We hope to attract a big audience and provide more performances and programs.
China Volunteer Centre
- MBL Nanjing Volunteer Center, led by Julie, supported MBL New Year events, working with V&A Children Museum in the UK.
- Launched MBL wechat account
- MBL volunteer Chloe returned to China and joined MBL volunteer center in Nanjing
- MBL cultural project – set up National Trust Cultural Trip work plan & precedure
- Organized UK-based summer camps for students and MBL volunteer from China
- Exhibited 50 children’s artwork from Nanjing Fu Zi Miao Center Primary school on MBL’s website
- Conducted research in Jiangxi Province as part of the effort to help adoptive family in the UK
- Approved MBL 2017 Books for Kids project of building two libraries in Jiangxi Province
- Conducted MBL National Trust cultural trip research, which was led by MBL volunteer Red, and arranged the trip for some families and students
- The Nanjing volunteer center collected many books for this year’s Books for Kids project
- Provided research support to Manchester University Professor Miss Chilling
- MBL 14th Birthday celebration
- Celebrated MBL volunteer Shuifeng’s 65th birthday!
- Worked wth several primary schools in Nanjing to collect books for the Books for Kids project
- Set up the donation days as 17th and 18th, December, 2017
- Provided books, sports equipments and school suppliers to schools in Jiangxi.
HEARTFELT THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT TO MBL
SHARING THE CHINESE CULTURE FOR CHILDREN! XIEXIE NIN!
MBL volunteers from more than 20 countries all over the world joined MBL Team and participated in MBL projects and events. Every year MBL needs MORE VOLUNTEERS to lead and support our projects and events. If you would like to participate in any MBL on-going Projects mentioned above or become one of the Project Leaders, please do not hesitate to contact the team leader or firstname.lastname@example.org
MBL Project Policy and Records
(MBL Head Office must have all of Points step by step on time)
— 3 Points of setting up a Plan
(You should NOT start working on the Plan until MBL Head Office confirms it. Thanks!)
a, MBL minute (team’s idea/decision, simple 5Ws: When/Where/Who/What/How)
b, The programme (ideas for MBL Head Office’s meeting, detailed 5 Ws)
c, A policy of your budget (cost, cover, gain) and its fundraising possibility
— 3 Points of Work Plan
(You should confirm all of these with Head Office before you send them out)
a, (1.5 months before) working timetable (with office/partners/MBL volunteers) + networking with office (VIP/Media/Students/Others)
b, (1 month before) invitation/poster sending (@, mails, handing)
c, (1 week before) final programme/timetable for guests + final day schedule for volunteers
— 3 Points of the Records
(MBL Head Office needs these in one-week time after each project)
a, (1 week after) work report of the activities (based on 5 Ws)
b, (1 week after) news for MBL web/Facebook/Weibo/Twitter/Wechat (500 words with more photos/videos)
c, (1 week after) a statement of cost/gain (with all receipts and signed at least by two people)
General Guidance for MBL Volunteers working with Children/ Adoptive Families
Since this might be the first time for some of MBL volunteers to be with MBL adoptive families (a very special group), for Child Safety, Security, Privacy, and Sensitivity purpose, we introduce a general guidance to MBL volunteers during events/activities involving children (including young people under the age of 18 years) and families below.
Please read the contents below carefully:
• Always be aware of the Fire Exit before events/activities start
• Maintain a Child Safety environment for children
• Treat children with respect, listen to and value their ideas and opinions and protect their well-being
• Be considerate in your actions through your use of language, presentation, manner and punctuality
• Respect the privacy of children and their families and only disclose information to people who have a need to know.
You SHOULD NOT:
• Use prejudice, sensitive words such as “abandon”, or any oppressive behaviour or language with children
• Give advice or suggestion on adoptive families’ decision on searching for birth parents or their relationship with birth parents… If adoptive families ask for this, them you should forward their enquiries to MBL Head Office.
• Share children & families’ photos through your personal networks
• Discriminate on the basis of age, gender, race, culture, vulnerability or sexuality.
• Initiate unnecessary physical contact with children or do things of a personal nature that children can do for themselves.
• Enquiry about children/families’ contact details and develop ‘special’ relationships with specific children/families for your personal gains or your own needs
• Have contact with children/families outside of the MBL’s programs.