Dear MBLers and friends:
Please allow me to invite you to celebrate MBL’s 12th Birthday in August 2016 with us!
Since MBL’s birth on 18th August 2004, we, with passion and love, have been working hard on building the bridges between birth culture and adoptive culture, between poor and rich, and between China and the rest of the world.
Over 1,000 volunteers across 15 countries have joined us to share the same goal
- MBL has reached 27 countries where over 150,000 Chinese children have been adopted
- MBL has built 19 MBL school libraries in poor areas of China and has contributed to 3 schools for Tibetan, Muslim and migrant children in China.
- MBL has hosted or been involved in over 100 culture events for adoptive families, schools, and Chinese communities in The UK, The U.S., Australia, New Zealand, Norway, Netherlands, Finland, France, Germany, Spain, Brazil, and Ireland.
I wish I could have included all of what MBL has done in our report to you, but that would have made it too long to post here! These select photos may help you understand who we are and what we have done in the past 12 years. I am sure many MBL volunteers can find themselves in those “historical moments”!
After ten years of learning and exploring, we have set up Books for Kids in 2015 to help adoptive families build ‘a short cut’ between loving parents and adopted children. Please check out the “Ongoing Projects” page on our website to read the moving letter from a New Zealand family. The adoptive parents have found the birth family for their adopted twins from Sichuan through Books for Kids!
Starting this month, August 2016, also MBL’s birth month, we are implementing a new project called “MBL Global Calendar.” It features one or more countries each month, with latest news, photos, videos, policies, and other information relevant to adoption and cultural exchanges with China in those countries. It aims at connecting Chinese adoptees and adoptive families from all over the world. We would like to invite YOU to join ‘MBL Global Calendar’ and to share news, photos, stories, your country’s cultural exchanges with China, and more!
MBL’s website now has a new team leader, American-based Chinese author Fan WU. Her critically acclaimed books, “February Flowers” and “Beautiful as Yesterday,” tell stories about today’s China and the Chinese people.
Here is our “drafted idea” for “MBL Global Calendar”, please feel free to advise us!
February: Ireland/ Finland
September: Unite Kingdom
October: Australia/ New Zealand
November: Unite State/ Canada
December: Brazil/South America
We’re starting “MBL Global Calendar” from this August, and it’ll be about China! MBL head office and China Volunteer center will be sharing a lot of latest information about China with you. I hope you will enjoy reading it and will join us to build the Calendar!
With MBL’s new initiatives and developments, we need more help from you, from our talented and passionate volunteers. Please consider joining the teams below.
1) Website team We need more researchers, content managers, and IT experts ( please contact Fan WU<email@example.com> )
2) China Volunteer Center We need more support for Books for Kids ( please contact Li Zhu <firstname.lastname@example.org>)
3) The UK team, We need more volunteers for Spring/Autumn events with V&A children museum and CACH event in March. ( Please contact Chloe Young <email@example.com> )
We need YOU! Chinese children need YOU! China needs YOU!
Thank YOU for your sharing and support!
MBL won’t have a bright future without YOUR contribution!
Founder of MBL
Culture adviser of BBC World Servers
Author of The Good Women of China, Sky Burial, The Message from an Unknown Chinese Mother, China Witness, Buy Me the Sky